PDF Print E-mail

The church history of our parish begins with the chapel that existed on our current site, in 1335. The present St Bartholomew's building is largely from the 15th and 16th centuries and was originally dedicated to St Lawrence. In the 19th century, it was extended to cope with a growing population. St John's Church, now sadly demolished, was built in 1912 and closed in 2007.

 

St Bartholomew's Church

More information can be found here. We also have copies for sale of the late Louis Pollard's detailed social history, "The Story of a Village Church".

We normally open the church to visitors on Saturdays during the Summer; we are pleased to welcome school and other groups by arrangement with the Parish Office. You are, of course, welcome to look around before or after a service.

 

St John's Church

More information about St John's Church (1912–2007) can be found here.

 

The Churchyard

Our churchyard was used for burials for many centuries, but is now closed and cared for by the Borough Council. More information here.

Details of churchyard records are here.